VS2012 support

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Are there plans for support with VS2012?  

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Plan to yes, just waiting for it to go RTM so I can get the assemblies I'll need to build it with or it won't work correctly. Which apparently they released it to MSDN on the 16th... well aren't I behind the times!

Thanks for the info, should be able to get a release out sometime soon.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Brilliant, thanks Jeff. 

Yep I think the final version of VS2012 has now been released  too (post-RTM). 

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Great, I am also waiting for 2012 support. Let us know when we're there.

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2012 at 4:00 AM

It looks like there will be some major changes necessary for the VS2012 support to be completed. Basically from what I can tell, the object as it was being serialized before is no longer supported by Visual Studio. Whether that is a problem with VS2012 or a problem with the policy, I am unsure. However, based on testing the configuration settings that get stored within TFS when the policy is being serialized must change.

With the lack of community interest in the project, I just can't see myself continuing to support it. If someone wants to work on the project to get it updated to work with the new version of Visual Studio, I am more than happy to turn this over for community development. Otherwise, it will simply have to wait until I need to use it that causes me to update it. Though I can't imagine much interest is going to occur given there have been under 500 downloads over a 1 year period. Plus, I just don't have time or interest in maintaining it.

If someone wants to update the project, I can at least put enough time in to get the installer updated to work with VS2012.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Hi Jeff,

I really enjoy the project and I want to work on that to update to works on VS2012.

So how can I do that?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 29, 2013 at 1:56 PM
In order to get the project usable with VS2012, you'd need to replace the Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.dll and Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.dll files in the Components\TeamFoundation with the version included with VS2012.

Once those DLLs are in place, you should be able to start making any code changes necessary to get the project functional with VS2012. From what I recall, the issue was how the policy was being serialized to the TFS server and that it didn't like some of the objects I had used for storing configuration data in the policy settings.